Sunday, May 9, 2010

FINAL POST - Freedom to read

Image source from Google Images

The reasons given by people for challenging or trying to suppress literature vary but it would seem that so often it is because the books in question do not meet a current standard of particular social values. As mentioned before a lot of the time it is well-intended but fearful people (mainly parents) trying to ‘protect’ the world (mainly children) from what they see as unsuitable or inappropriate. These continual knee jerk reactions, which have been covered earlier on, have managed to spark quite a different reaction in others.

I have decided to end this report by listing just some of the initiatives that are out there that advocate the freedom to read. Like the rest of the research, many of the initiaves have originated in America but still play an important part in the censorship issue.

 Follow the links to find out more about each one.


ALA’s page on Banned Books Week

Freedom to Read (Canada)

Office of Intellectual Freedom

The Beacon for Freedom of Expression Project

Judy Blume Talks About Censorship

Banned Books Australia Project (within the AusLit Database)

Teaching Banned Books: 12 guides for young readers (An E-book available through Swinburne)

NCITE’s Anti- Censorship Center (National Council of Teachers of English)


As the image at the top of this report says: 

CENSORSHIP CAUSES BLINDNESS

READ!


Final Reflection

 This project has been really interesting to work on.  I chose the topic as it was of interest to me  and have really enjoyed all that I have uncovered along the way. Initially I  imagined that all the research would be conducted online so I was pleasantly surprised to find there were print resources that I could not only use but ended up being a critical part of my research process.  Each week they were always the launch pad for the rest of the research conducted.

To begin with I found the idea of presenting our findings in a blog really difficult to get my head around as I couldn't let go of the traditional format of a report. Now,  I can totally see how a blog is a really handy and efficient way of collating and recording research ideas and findings, especially when so much of it is found through  online resources. Prior to this I have occasionally look at other people's blogs but never thought too much about them at all but doing this project has kinda changed that. I don't know that I'll start my own blog  up anytime soon but I do find myself entertaining thoughts of being the creator of a cute, clever and rad blog about .......something , with loads and loads of fans.... Just like a rockstar!

No comments:

Post a Comment